On Saturday August 1, prison medical staff told Mumia Abu-Jamal that he has active Hepatitis C. But the prison is refusing to give Mumia any treatment. His lawyers are going back to court to demand justice.
And we need your help to do it.
Mumia was admitted to the hospital with lethal blood sugar levels and in renal failure in late March. At every step of the way, Secretary of Corrections John Wetzel and the prison Superintendent John Kerestes have blocked, denied, and delayed medically necessary tests and treatments. Mumia has been hospitalized twice.
The only reason that Mumia has been given any diagnostic care is because we –his lawyers, his doctors, and you– have demanded it.
After relentless pressure by Mumia’s legal and medical team, Mumia was finally given a blood test to see if his Hepatitis C was active. Only on Saturday August 1, Mumia was informed that he had an active Hep C viral load.
Mumia’s independent physicians believe the Hepatitis C could be the cause of Mumia’s debilitating open wounds and severe skin rash. The prison has been aware that Mumia was Hepatitis C positive since 2012– yet they refused to test and treat him for this chronic and potentially fatal condition.
Prison officials and the DOC are categorically denying Mumia medical treatment by refusing to conduct the necessary tests to treat Hepatitis C.
Today Mumia’s attorneys Bret Grote of the Abolitionist Law Center and co-counsel Robert Boyle of New York brought this case of medical neglect to court.
Now, we’re calling on you to join us to bring Mumia back to full health.
What We Need
We need to raise $42,000 quickly to get Mumia immediate treatment.
Right now, every dollar you give will make it possible to:
- File the amended lawsuit ‘Abu-Jamal v. Kerestes’ to include medical neglect, and demand that the PA Department of Corrections is accountable to conducting diagnostic testing and perusing an effective treatment plan.
- Get Mumia a full Hepatitis C work up and treatment. New Hep. C treatments have a 95% cure rate: one pill per day for 8-12 weeks.
- Demand immediate access to Zinc supplements and topical medicationProtopic for pain relief and exposed wounds, as recommended by Mumia’s consulting doctors. Zinc has been denied, and Protopic has been withdrawn for unstated reasons.
- Secure Mumia’s constitutional right to access to the courts and counsel, especially while hospitalized
- Grant Mumia’s consulting physicians access to conduct a thorough exam in a medical environment. While we have succeeded in opening phone communication between Mumia and his physician, it is now time for his physician to direct and advise treating doctors at both the prison Infirmary and outside hospitals, as well as being able to communicate with Mumia in person.
- Fuel a public campaign to bring Mumia back to health. Activism and direct action will be key to getting Mumia and all Pennsylvania prisoners critical care for Hepatitis C. It is the only way to move forward on the path that leads to freedom.
- Support the demand for Hepatitis C treatment for all Pennsylvania prisoners. See the class action lawsuit.
The Pennsylvania DOC’s denial of care is a violation of Mumia’s and all prisoners’ human rights. And the only way to defeat it is together.
After You Donate, Take Action:
Calling every day can turn the tide. After you give, please take five minutes to demand medical treatment for Mumia
- John Wetzel, PA Secretary of Corrections (717) 728-4109
- Governor Tom Wolf (717) 787-2500
- John Kerestes, Superintendent SCI Mahanoy (570) 773-2158 ext. 8102
- Click here for more contact information and resources.