Since the latest campaign for Seth began last week, his medical situation has actually worsened. He has had a cough for over a week with shortness of breath. He is also intermittently coughing up blood tinged mucous. He has not been evaluated or treated for these symptoms.
We must keep the pressure on and be consistent, insistent and persistent to make sure we do not lose yet another of our beloved freedom fighters due to deliberate medical neglect.
****Please join our phone and fax campaign!****
*Talking points and sample letter below*
THINGS YOU CAN DO:
1) On Tuesday, 5/5 and Wednesday, 5/6 please call:
***Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci, NYS Department of Corrections at
***Dr. Carl J. Koenigsmann, Chief Medical Officer, DOCCS Division of Health
Services at (518) 457-7073
***Nancy A. Lyng, MS, Director of Health Services, at (518) 445-6176
2) On Thursday, 5/7 and Friday, 5/8, please fax (you can use a free online
fax service like faxzero.com if needed):
***Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci at Fax: (518) 457-0076
***Dr. Carl J. Koenigsmann M.D. at Fax: (518) 445-7553
***Nancy A. Lyng, MS at Fax: (518) 445-6157
***Suggested talking points***
State who you are calling about and include his prisoner #: Robert Seth Hayes, #74-A-2280, at Sullivan Correctional Facility;
Say that you are requesting:
1) an immediate work-up of his cough and shortness of breath;
2) an assessment of his weight loss to have potential malignancies ruled out;
3) modification of his insulin regimen to better control his diabetes and prevent low blood sugars; and
4) a physician’s order for a diabetic diet.
Please email email@example.com and let us know what response you receive.
A SAMPLE LETTER YOU CAN FAX OR MAIL:
Carl J. Koenigsmann M.D.
Deputy Commissioner/Chief Medical Officer
NYS DOCCS Division of Health Services
Harriman State Campus, Building #2
1220 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12226-2050
Fax: (518) 445-7553
Dear Dr. Koenigsmann,
I am writing on behalf of Robert Seth Hayes, #74-A-2280, DOB 10-15-48, who
is currently at Sullivan Correctional Facility in Fallsburg, NY.
Mr. Hayes suffers from poorly controlled diabetes mellitus with frequent
bouts of hypoglycemia, as well as weight loss of 40 pounds (22% of his
original body weight) in a short time. These health concerns have not been
addressed by medical staff at Sullivan Correctional Institute despite
numerous requests by the patient, family, concerned medical providers, and
the general public. He has not even been prescribed a diabetic diet.
In addition, Mr. Hayes’s medical situation has worsened in the last week.
He has had a cough with shortness of breath and is coughing up blood tinged mucus.
He needs an evaluation of his cough and shortness of breath urgently.
I am writing to register my grave concern about the health of Mr. Hayes and
to request that he receive the following immediate and appropriate medical care:
1) an urgent evaluation of his cough and shortness of breath;
2) a work-up of his weight loss to assess for potential malignancies;
3) a modification of his insulin regimen to better control his diabetes and prevent episodes of hypoglycemia; and
4) a diabetic diet.
I thank you for your prompt attention to these medical matters.Sincerely,